You are currently browsing the monthly archive for September 2011.
Today is my birthday. So I thought that in honour of this fact I would write a list of things that I have learnt in my 22 years on this earth.
THINGS I HAVE LEARNT IN 22 YEARS OF BEING…
- You will not die of shame if you get something wrong (even if you feel like you might). Be it on a test, playground gossip or trying to outwit your family whilst watching talking ‘bout your generation.
- My health is more important than social activities
- Not to take anything for granted
- Boys don’t like direct conversation about feelings at 14 years old.
- That you should always push yourself to find out what you’re capable of.
- To try not to regret anything… excepting the time that I got too nervous to perform in my grade 3 play even though I had done everything in my 8 year old powers to get the main role ONLY to give it to my best friend at the time who was unfortunately crap… I still bitterly regret this.
- Only spend time with the people who mean something to you and are worth spending the energy on. Life is too short to hang out with dickheads.
- To not drink too much at family Christmases
- Sisters are awesome and will always listen to you even if you repeat yourself a million times or tell them your silliest innermost thoughts. They will almost always still love you even when you’re grumpy.
- Always pack extra undies when going on holidays. It’s a given that at some point you will run out.
- Friends are precious. Look after the ones you’ve got.
- To be nice to techies. By bringing them food, beer and giving regular praise things get done so much faster.
- Don’t throw cats. I only recently learnt this lesson after an unfortunate incident last week where I gently threw my cat onto the couch where he promptly face planted and wouldn’t look at me for the rest of the day. We have since made up.
- Be kind to your body. It’s the only one you’ve got.
- To learn from every experience and take something away from it, be it good or bad.
- That you can be both sorry and not sorry at the same time.
- That I really am blessed with the most wondrous family and life and wouldn’t change it for the world.
This is a shamefully short list but when reflecting upon what I’ve learnt in 22 years it seems it is quite a bloody lot and I don’t want to bore you with the minute details that I’ve learnt like shoe lace tying and basic mathematics. It’s a few life lessons that are important to me now, so even though it’s short I still wanted to share with you!
I would also like to give special thanks to my wonderful parents today, without which I would literally not be here. A special extra mention to my beautiful mother, who 22 years ago went through an ungodly amount of hours in labour to bring me into this world, only for me to come out looking like my Pops…